Wednesday 1 July 2015

Time is flying away

It's crazy how last week completely flew by as I am now half way through my third week of camp.
It's always such a heart warming moment seeing the child that hasn't said anything for the last two weeks stand in front of an audience of parents that are frantically fanning themselves and talking and proudly state "my name is Giovanni. I have 6 reers old." You can't contain the want to run up to little Giovanni and hug him so tightly. It's even better when Martina is standing in the front row of the choir, playing with the rocks on the ground and giggling, despite having gone over and over the words. Then they just leave. It's just over. Like that. You watch them all potter off with a pile of portfolios, certificates and bits and pieces, to only remember you as 'that English girl at that summer camp.' And you therapeutically tear down the posters in your classroom, collect up all the pens (and pen lids) that were thrown during the pen fight whilst you were out getting paper, and take down the city camp flag whist leaving. Despite this, it's still such a beautiful feeling. I'm not happy because the children have memorised the words to 'Reach for the stars' or because they can now tell me if the bear is in front or behind the box but because I know I have made some sort of impact on these children. I saw them smile and scream and laugh and that's really what this is about.

So as much as the final show is difficult, having to leave the group of fantastic tutors that you have bonded with so quickly over the last few weeks is in another league. This gang of 5 has been wonderfully brilliant and I cannot thank them enough for their support, hard work and shimmy lessons. To be able to pick each other up, make each other laugh and share the weirdest and craziest stories with is something special. It's hard to describe how you can become so close with people in such a short space of time, and this is an overused phrase, but some people just click. I will treasure the memories of our private jokes, ridiculous public embarrassment and loving support. Despite how many times you do it, and how much you learn from doing it, saying goodbye is bloody difficult.

Luckily my next camp was only a 20 minute drive so I didn't have too long to sit and ponder. With only two tutors and older students this camp has been a complete change in pace. Unfortunately, the horrific organisation of our italian company has meant that all our teaching materials are based on a different age group than we have. This has resulted in more work than we should be doing but it's been nice to work together, even if a little demanding.

Mosquitoes.

This deserves it's own paragraph. Being next to the river Po has meant that the moquisitoes are awful. And I'm not being dramatic. The type of mozzies here are called 'Tiger' Mosquitioes and their bites reflect their name. Unfortunately, they love me. Swarm to me. I can stand outside and get 4 or 5 bites within a minute. It's marvellous. Obviously I'm trying everything, several repellents, after bite, cold compresses but my legs look like a dot-to-dot.

Aside from these small inconveniences, the camp is lovely, the family is wonderful (although a tad mad), the tutor I'm working with is becoming a great friend and the kids are bravissimi. AND it's only 22 days until I get to see a certain someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment